The most common damage occurred on d.g. pistons is wear on piston ring grooves. Worn pistons are usually replaced with new due to the high cost of repairing them or the material difficulty to be rebuilt. KIMI offers the laser cladding repair option as a sustainable solution that not only restores but also prolongs pistons’ service life by improving grooves resistance to erosion and corrosion.
In a few words, the benefits of piston laser cladding repair are the following:
- The method is applicable to steel, cast iron and aluminum pistons.
- Piston grooves are restored back to their original size. Thus, standard size piston rings can be fitted on the repaired piston.
- It is a cost effective solution. Price offered is related to the number of grooves that need restoration.
- The material used for building up achieves high mean hardness and very low coefficient of friction. Subsequently after repair, piston obtains higher resistance to erosion than before.
- Finally the material used for building up sustains its hardness at high temperatures.
As a supplementary service, we provide our customers with full-reporting- including dimensional reports, photos and NDT certificates- prior and after repair. NDT services and certificates are issued by certified personnel (Level II EN473). Finally, quality assurance throughout the repair process and final quality control are indispensable part of all of our services.